Adlai E. Stevenson High School was established in 1968 in the city of Sterling Heights, a suburb located approximately 18 miles North of Detroit, Michigan. According to the official website of the City of Sterling Heights:
"Sterling Heights is the third largest in area and the fourth largest in population in the state of Michigan. Sterling Heights has a population of 129,699 (2010 census) people living within 36.8 square miles. Sterling Heights is home to more than 3,500 commercial and industrial businesses."
Stevenson is one of four comprehensive high schools in Utica Community Schools. Our students also attend programs at the Utica Academy for International Studies, the Utica Center for Science and Industry, and the Utica Center for Math Science Technology
The school was named after Adlai E. Stevenson II who was Governor of Illinois from 1949-1953. He was twice nominated for the Presidency of the United States in 1952 and 1956, and was also U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations from 1961-1965. According to the Stevenson Center for Community and Economic Development his legacy fell into three themes; helping the Midwest out of isolationism, promoting public service as the highest calling of citizenship, and challenging Americans to step away from the nuclear precipice and unite around a common humanity. These themes are represented in our school's Vision and Mission. Read more about Adlai E. Stevenson at the Stevenson Center website or at Adlai Today.